Below you will find a comprehensive collection of RoboForm Frequently Asked Questions.
Please read through these questions before contacting the support.
These FAQ apply to RoboForm ver. 7.4.0 and later.
The licensing principles are:
* Synching via RoboForm Everywhere account is a software option, available both in Everywhere, Desktop and RoboForm2Go licenses.
* RF Everywhere license activates RoboForm on an unlimited number of computers belonging to one person.
* RF Everywhere license activates RF2Go on up to 3 portable drives containing the same set of RoboForm User Data.
* RoboForm Desktop one license allows use of RoboForm on one computer, includes all upgrades except major upgrades, paid once.
* RoboForm2Go one license allows use of RoboForm on one USB key or a portable disk, includes all upgrades except major upgrades, paid once.
No. You may activate RoboForm on all your computers even if you do not sync with RoboForm Everywhere account. The synchronization is an option now, that can be turned On and Off at will, and activation status of RoboForm on a computer is not tied to RoboForm Everywhere account.
You may activate RoboForm2Go on all your USB keys (up to 3) even if you do not sync RoboForm Profile on this key with RoboForm Everywhere account. However, RoboForm data on all USB keys must be substantially the same.
If you purchased RoboForm Pro or RoboForm2Go Pro on or after Sept. 1, 2010 then you can upgrade to RoboForm 7 for free. You will be able to choose an upgrade to RoboForm 7 Desktop or a free year of RoboForm 7 Everywhere.
If you bought before Sept. 1, 2010 then the upgrade is not free, but you will receive a discounted upgrade pricing.
Please click here to upgrade to RoboForm 7.
RoboForm 7 has many new upgrades over RoboForm 6 that normally would be separate products:
* Automatic Synchronization via RoboForm Everywhere account.
* Password management for Windows applications.
* Better User Interface (complete rewrite) and many more new features.
* New browsers supported: modern versions of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera.
* New operating systems supported: Mac OS, Linux.
* New mobile devices: iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone, Windows RT devices.
Security products generally charge annually for their services as they continually need to monitor new threats and update their software. We face similar challenges with RoboForm. There are new browsers, the existing browsers are constantly changing, new web forms are always popping-up, password entry schemes get more complicated, even HTML is evolving.
To make the business of producing and supporting the best password manager financially viable, Siber Systems needs to charge for major version updates.
Yes! If you have 10 or less logins, less than 2 identities, then RoboForm 7 is free.
Yes! You may use RoboForm 7 for free for 30 days. After 30 days RoboForm will prompt you to pay, if you have more than 10 logins. If you have less than 10 logins after the trial period, you may continue using it for free.
Yes, we do. RoboForm Desktop 7 and RoboForm2Go 7 require only a one-time payment for that version. Future major version upgrades (ver. 8 and later) may have an upgrade fee, however.
You cannot activate RoboForm 6 PRO from RoboForm 7 licenses. So install RoboForm ver. 7, then it can activate PRO mode from ver. 7 license.
No. RoboForm 7 reads the same data format as version 6.
An exception: If your Master Password contains special (national, accented) characters, it causes an incompatibility issue with RoboForm version 7. Please do the following:
The format of RoboForm data is compatible between RoboForm 6 and 7, so all your Logins (passcards) and other RoboForm data will be retained, no matter which version you choose.
An exception: If your Master Password contains special (national, accented) characters, it will cause the incompatibility issue.
Click the button with a star on it to the right of the password field.
It will make the password to display in plain text.
It was replaced with a non-modal AutoSave toolbar that
appears when Roboform thinks that there is a login info to be saved.
It appears under the RoboForm toolbar when there is a login form that can be saved. You may return to the older behaviour in the RoboForm -> Options -> AutoSave
Yes, they are. To put them back together, so that both Logins and Bookmarks appear in your Logins menu, go to RoboForm -> Options and check 'Show Bookmarks and Logins together'.
Click Upgrade to RoboForm V7.
Q: RoboForm disappeared with the latest version of Chrome.
A: This is a known issue with RoboForm & Chrome and we have released a new version.
Please install the latest version
Mac OSX: https://secure.roboform.com/dist/roboform-mac.dmg
Q: Troubleshooter: I cannot download RoboForm. What should I do?
A: Use Download Troubleshooter to determine what happened:
1. A corrupted version of the RoboForm installer file got stuck in your browser's cache. You should clean up your browser's cache and try to download again. To clean IE cache, select "Tools -> Internet Options" and click the "Delete Files" button.
2. Your computer may have an existing virus that modifies every downloaded file. RoboForm installer checks its integrity and it complains if it sees that the file was changed. Please check your computer for viruses and perform necessary disinfection.
3. RoboForm distribution file is an *.EXE file and some buggy versions of Quick Time and possibly other add-ons intercept downloading of *.EXE files but cannot perform it. A quick fix is to right-click the "Direct Download" link on www.roboform.com, select "Save Target As...", specify a folder to which RoboForm installer file should be saved, complete downloading and then click "Open" on the dialog that comes up.
Q: Should I uninstall old RoboForm version before installing the new version?
A: No. Just install the new version over the old version.
Q: When I upgrade to a new version of RoboForm, will my Identities and Passcards be lost?
A: No. RoboForm User Data folder is not removed or modified by the RoboForm installer.
Q: If I upgrade to the new version of RoboForm, do I have to pay again for RoboForm Pro?
A: Currently updates to an existing version, such as updating from version 7.9.6 to 7.9.7, are free. However, major upgrades, such as upgrading from version 6.0.0 to 7.0.0 require an upgrade fee, which is given at a reduced price to previous purchasers. The same will be when we release RoboForm 8.
Q: We use mass installer to install RoboForm. How to do it correctly?
A: Mass installs are addressed by RoboForm Enterprise.
Q: My Passcards, Identities and Safenotes disappeared. How do I get them back?
A: Most likely, they are not lost. You just need to find them on your hard drive and tell RoboForm where they are.
1. Find your Passcard files on your hard drives:
- Click Start button and select Search -> For Files and Folders.
- Put *.RFP into "All or part of the file name" (use *.RFT for Identities and *.RFN for Safenotes).
- Put "Local Hard Drives" into "Look In".
- Click Search button and note the folder in which your Passcards and Identities appear.
- Note that hidden files will not be found by Windows Explorer by default. To make it really search all folders, open Windows Explorer and select "Tools -> Folder Options -> View -> Show hidden files and folders" option.
2. Tell RoboForm where the files you found are:
- Click RoboForm button on RF toolbar (or taskbar) and select Options,
- Go to "User Data" menu section,
- Click Set Folder,
- Select the folder that you found in step 1.
Q: How can I revert to the older version of RoboForm?
A: You may get the available older version here:
Q: How can I uninstall RoboForm?
A: Select "Start -> Programs -> RoboForm -> Uninstall".
If RoboForm the embedded uninstaller does not work, click this link: RoboForm Uninstaller. It will download and run a file that will uninstall RoboForm.
If you did not close all browser windows when uninstalling RoboForm then the file RoboForm.dll will remain locked. However, you can reboot and remove the file manually.
Q: How does licensing work for RoboForm?
A: 1) RoboForm Desktop is licensed per computer. That is, one license is required for every computer where you install RoboForm. Second license is sold at a big discount to make RoboForm affordable for one user with two computers.
2) The RoboForm2Go license allows you to go from one computer to another computer with the USB disk (or other removable disk) containing your RF data without the need of reactivating RoboForm Pro.
• RoboForm2Go license allows you to use RoboForm Pro on any number of computers, but
• RoboForm2Go data must be kept only on a removable drive and not on a hard drive, and
• The RoboForm2Go license is also called Portable license because it is attached to a USB key and not to a computer.
• The RoboForm license is also called Fixed license because it is attached to a specific computer.
3) The RoboForm Everywhere license is per RoboForm Profile (per person).
• RoboForm Everywhere license allows you to use your RoboForm User Data set on multiple computers and devices (tablets, USB drives etc.)
Q: How do I choose between "RoboForm Desktop", "RoboForm Everywhere" and "RoboForm2Go" licenses?
A: If you use RoboForm only on one computer, get 1 RoboForm Desktop license, it is the cheapest solution. If there are 2 computers that belong to you and have one RoboForm User Data set, buy 1 RoboForm Everywhere license (covers future major updates) or 2 RoboForm Desktop licenses, you may also buy 1 RoboForm2Go license to use RoboForm2Go in Pro mode from the USB drive on both PCs.
2 Desktop licenses cost the same as 1 RoboForm2Go license but provide more flexibility, they have one time payment. RoboForm Everywhere is per person and is considered to be the most flexible, but it has annual fee.
If you have 3 or more computers, you can either buy a RoboForm Desktop license for each computer or one RoboForm2Go license to use RoboForm2Go from a USB drive on that computers (PCs only) or a RoboForm Everywhere license that covers all computers.
Note though that with RoboForm Desktop license all computers can have different sets of RoboForm Passcards but with RoboForm2Go or RoboForm Everywhere license you must have only one set of RoboForm Passcards that you must physically move between your computers using a removable disk or by synchronization with RoboForm Everywhere account online. Certainly you may purchase 2 RoboForm Everywhere licenses, one for each RoboForm Profile.
Q: I lost RoboForm2Go License. Why and how do I reactivate RoboForm2Go Pro?
A: You likely overwrote or deleted file "\My RoboForm Data\license.rfo" and this file contains license data, or you reformatted your USB drive. Both cases cause the loss of the license activation, so you will have to reactivate RoboForm2Go.
RoboForm 7 users: Click RoboForm icon -> Help -> Activate RoboForm.
RoboForm 6 users: Use our Pro Activator.
Q: RoboForm used to be free and now it asks to upgrade to the Pro. What is going on?
A: Free version of RoboForm has certain limitations, the most significant of them is that you can have 10 Passcards or less in free version.
How to get around these limitations:
* Buy RoboForm Pro, it does not have any limitations at all.
* Reduce number of Passcards to 10 or less. You can view, edit and delete all Passcards and identities even after the trial period is over, only automated form filling and logins do not work.
Q: I lost my RoboForm Pro status because of the Windows reinstallation. How do I get it back?
A: RoboForm 7 users: Click RoboForm icon -> Help -> Activate RoboForm.
RoboForm 6 users: Use our Pro Activator. It will ask you for your Name and Order ID or E-mail. Upon finding you in the database the system will perform activation of RoboForm Pro on your computer.
Q: RoboForm tells me that my activations were exceeded. What should I do?
A: If you activated RoboForm Pro on more computers than is allowed by your license(s), you should buy additional licenses for additional computers at http://upgrade.roboform.com/
If you are activating RoboForm 6 Pro on the same computer as before, then ask RoboForm Support to add more activations and your request will be granted if your activation history supports that claim.
If you use RoboForm 7, then RoboForm should offer you to transfer the license to the new PC where you try to activate the license.
Q: I bought more one license. How do I install the 2nd and the other licenses?
A: If you need to activate RoboForm Pro on more than one computer and you purchased sufficient number of licenses:
- Install free RoboForm on this computer,
RoboForm 7 users: Click RoboForm icon -> Help -> Activate RoboForm.
RoboForm 6 users: Go to Pro Activator on this computer. Enter your Name and Order ID or Email that you used when ordering. If the Locator finds you in the database, the activation will happen automatically.
Q: Can I add 2nd license at a discounted price if I bought the first license before?
A: Yes, you can. This is how to buy additional licenses and pay the discounted price:
* Go to http://upgrade.roboform.com/
* Enter number of additional licenses (one per computer) that you need.
* Enter Order ID of your Original Order.
* Enter your name as it appears in the Original Order.
* Click Total and it will tell you whether the original order was found.
* Click Continue button to proceed with the new order for additional licenses.
Q: How can I determine whether RoboForm Pro is activated?
A: Click RoboForm Taskbar icon and select "Help -> About" or select RoboForm -> Help -> About in RoboForm toolbar. The dialog that appears shows you the Free/Pro status.
Q: Where can I find a copy of the Software License Agreement?
A: You can find a copy of the Software License Agreement here.
Q: Troubleshooter: RoboForm does not attach to my browser. Why?
A: There are several reasons why RoboForm cannot attach to your browser. This simple troubleshooter will help you to determine the cause of the problem and how to fix it.
1. You are using a browser in which RoboForm does not work.
RoboForm works in all modern browsers: Internet Explorer, browsers based on IE that support IE add-ons, Firefox, Chrome, Opera.
If your browser is not in this list, contact us and we will add it, if it is possible.
2. You did not install RoboForm in this Windows account. RoboForm must be installed in each Windows account that wants to use it. Install RoboForm in the Windows account where you want to use it or for All Users.
3. Your Limited Windows account is not allowed to install software. Change your account type to a Power user or Administrator, these users are allowed to install software. You will have to login to Administrator and change your account privileges.
4. You are using an IE-based browser that is not the IE itself (AOL, MSN) and RoboForm Taskbar icon is not running in the Windows Taskbar, at the lower right corner near the clock. Make sure that RoboForm Taskbar Icon is running in the Taskbar. You can start it by selecting "Start -> Programs -> RoboForm -> Taskbar Icon". Note that AOL 9.7 does not support add-ons, so RoboForm cannot work in it.
5. You may have changed the RoboForm User Data folder
to a folder that contains no Passcards.
Verify that you still can see your Passcards by
starting the Editor (Logins -> Edit) and verifying the list of Logins.
Use the "RoboForm -> Tools -> Profiles -> Refresh Folder" command to make sure that the list of Logins shows the full set of your logins.
If RoboForm "forgot" where your Passcard files are located, you can find them using this advice.
6. You may be using an old or buggy version of RoboForm. Check your current RoboForm version in "Help -> About" dialog. The first thing to do is to upgrade to the latest official version available for download at download page.
Q: How to get a clean install of RoboForm Desktop after things got messed up?
A: If things got really messed up (you are getting E08 error message, or a notice about double RF DLLs), you can get a clean start by doing this sequence:
- In every Windows account start this program: rfwipeout.exe. It will clean out all remnants of old RoboForm versions. You MUST uninstall RoboForm from *all* accounts first. When uninstalling, you must Logoff and then Login to switch from one account to another, you cannot use Windows Switch command.
- Install RoboForm from Windows Administrator account.
- Install RoboForm in all other Windows accounts where you need it.
Q: Troubleshooter: the RoboForm Upper or Lower Toolbar does not show up. Why?
A: There are several reasons the toolbar may not appear. This simple troubleshooter will help you to determine the cause of the problem and how to fix it.
1. First check Common RoboForm troubleshooter.
Then check the toolbar-specific items below.
2. The Toolbar was added to the browser but it is hidden.
Make it visible again:
- Select "View -> Toolbar -> RoboForm" in IE.
- Select "View -> Toolbars -> RoboForm Toolbar" in Firefox.
3. The Toolbar is visible but only partially. Drag it out. If you see only the word "RoboForm" and a chevron next to it, then drag the toolbar by the word RoboForm to make it occupy more space horizontally and then you will see all of it. If it does not move then you have your toolbars locked. Unlock them by unchecking "View -> Toolbars -> Lock the Toolbars".
4. You de-activated your browser extensions. In IE open "Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced". Look at the Browsing section. The option "Enable 3rd party browser extensions" should be checked. If it is not checked, check it, click OK and restart the computer.
5. RoboForm is de-activated in the browser AddOns.
In IE open "Tools -> Internet Options -> Programs -> Manage AddOns".
In Firefox navigate to the Tools -> Add-ons.
In Chrome navigate to the Settings -> Extensions.
In Opera navigate to Opera -> Extensions.
Find RoboForm entry and enable it if it is not enabled.
Q: How can I customize the RoboForm Toolbar?
A: Click RoboForm -> Customize Toolbar, choose the command in the menu. In the dialog that appears you can make toolbar buttons visible and invisible by moving them between "Available toolbar buttons" (invisible buttons) and "Current toolbar buttons" (visible buttons).
Q: RF Desktop: Can I reduce the number of the RoboForm items in the IE Tools menu?
A: Every RoboForm menu item in IE Tools menu corresponds to a button on the IE Standard toolbar. The only way to delete these items is to delete corresponding RoboForm Standard IE toolbar buttons: In the "RoboForm -> Options -> Context Menu" window, you can add or remove unwanted buttons. Your changes will become effective only when you restart IE.
Q: RF Desktop: How do I customize (get rid of) RoboForm Context Menu Items?
A: Right-click any web page and select "Customize Menu" or go to "RoboForm -> Options -> Context Menu". In this dialog you can specify which RoboForm IE context menu items should be visible. Your changes will become effective only after you restart IE.
Q: RF Desktop: I enabled all RoboForm IE context menu items but not all of them show up. Why?
A: Internet Explorer has a limit on the number of context menu items that it can show. So if you enabled a number of RoboForm context menu items, restarted Internet Explorer and you still do not see the few last RoboForm context menu items then maybe you have hit the limit. If you suspect that this is the case then uninstall other software products that add IE context menu items or increase the resolution of your display.
Q: RF Taskbar icon is not visible in the Windows taskbar. What should I do?
A: For some reason Windows does not show all the Taskbar/SysTray icons. To make it show all icons, right-click the Taskbar, select Properties, uncheck "Hide Inactive Icons" and click OK. The RoboForm Taskbar icon will appear.
Q: RF Desktop: How do I tell RoboForm Taskbar icon not to appear? How do I make RoboForm not to start on Windows Startup?
A: Go to the "RoboForm -> Options -> General" section and uncheck "Show RoboForm Icon in Taskbar" and "Start RoboForm on Windows Startup" respectively.
Q: Troubleshooter: The AutoSave dialog does not come up when I expect it to. Why?
A: There are several reasons why AutoSave will not work. This simple troubleshooter will help you to determine the cause of the issue and it will tell you how to fix it.
1. First check Common RoboForm troubleshooter.
Then check the AutoSave-specific items below.
2. The submitted form contains no Password fields.
Entering into most online account requires filling a password field that appears as "****" (stars).
However in rare cases the login information contains no password fields.
If you need to save such login info to a Passcard, use manual save to Passcards: fill in the login info and click the "Save" button on the RoboForm toolbar or select "Save Forms" from the browser context menu.
3. The login info from the submitted form is already saved to one of existing Passcards.
4. Form has too many fields. If the submitted form has 6 or more text fields, AutoSave will not be offered. Click Save button one the toolbar to activate Save Forms manually.
5. AutoSave may be off or you may have played with options and set them to values that prevent AutoSave from working. Set all options to their default values by opening the Options dialog (select RoboForm -> Options) and clicking "Set Defaults" button.
6. You may have created a blocking Passcard for this web site. Once the blocking Passcard (it has "-Blocked-" in its name) is created, AutoSave will not come up on all pages of this web site. Remove the Blocking Passcard: go to this web site, click "Save", then click "Unblock".
Q: How can I disable AutoSave just for one web site?
A: If you do not want AutoSave to pop up on any pages of a particular site, click drop down arrow of No button in Save Forms dialog and select the Do not AutoSave at This site menu item. This will create a Blocking Passcard, its name will have "-Blocked-" after the web site name. To unblock AutoSave for a web site, go to this site, click Save and then click the Unblock button.
Q: How can I permanently disable AutoSave for all web sites?
A: If you do not want RoboForm to pop up the AutoSave dialog then click the No button pulldown in the Save Forms dialog and select Do Not AutoSave at All sites. To re-enable AutoSave, click the "Save" button, then click the "Enable AutoSave" button. You can also turn AutoSave on and off in RoboForm -> Options -> AutoSave.
Q: Troubleshooter: Filling Forms from Identities or Passcards does not work as expected. Why?
A: There are several reasons why form filling will not work. This simple troubleshooter will help you to determine the cause of the problem and how to fix it.
1. First check Common RoboForm troubleshooter.
Then check the form filling items below.
2. You are trying to fill in (save) a Flash form, Java-based form or other non-HTML form. RoboForm fills in HTML forms and Basic Authentication forms only and login credentials of Win32 applications, that require login, not Flash or Java-based forms. You can check the form type by right-clicking it. Flash objects have a specific Flash context menu.
3. If you are filling in a form from Passcard and some fields are not filled, this may be caused by changes on the web page. Resave the Passcard for this form and then it should work correctly. The best way to resave a Login is to ALT + click the login button on the web page or press SHIFT + ENTER while the cursor is in the password field.
4. Make sure that you fill in non-empty fields too, because some selection fields are always considered non-empty. Turn off the "Fill Empty Fields Only" option in form filling mini-dialog and/or in Fill Forms dialog.
5. If robo-filling does not change any field values on the form then RoboForm does not fill in the form and issues a warning.
6. If encoding of the web page is not set correctly, then RoboForm cannot read the page. If the letters on the page are not intelligible to you because of a wrong encoding, then RoboForm cannot read them either.
Q: How do I memorize multi-step login sequences such as in Bank of America?
A: Using several passcards one passcard for each step the login sequence. Details are here in the Manual.
Q: How do I make RoboForm Login in a new tab window in multitab browsers (actual versions of: IE, Firefox, Chrome, Opera)?
A: Multitab browsers do not have a mechanism to tell them to start navigation in the new tab.
1. So you should use New Browser Window option in RoboForm -> Options -> Login Browser, or SHIFT+click the passcard in RoboForm toolbar - Logins list to cause the Login in a New Browser Window.
Note that if you click RoboForm Taskbar Icon and go to Logins - click a login, it will always open the login in a new browser window. That is by design.
2. Also you should tell your browser to open links from other programs in a New Tab, not New Browser Window.
In IE this is controlled by option "Tools -> Internet Options -> Tabs Settings -> Open Links from Other Programs In -> A new Tab in the Current Window".
In Firefox this is option "Tools -> Options -> Tabs -> Open new windows in a new tab instead
3. Finally you should make sure that you are not using agressive popup blocker. Built-in popup blockers of IE and Firefox are not "agressive". We do not recommend using any non-native popup blockers because they kill RoboForm Login attempts in a New Window thinking that they are popups.
Q: I filled in some fields manually and RoboForm fills them in again. How can I avoid this?
A: There are two ways:
* Fill Empty Fields Only option: In form filling mini-dialog or AutoFill dialog check option "Fill Empty Fields Only" and RoboForm will fill only fields that are now empty (not filled) and it will not fields that are already filled. Note that some selection fields always have values in them, so RoboForm will not fill such fields if this option is On.
* Selective Form Filling: You can ask RoboForm to fill in only a part of the form by pulling selection (highlighting) the fields that you want to fill before clicking Fill Forms. Pulling selection over just a few fields may appear to be difficult, but it can be done after some exercise: Start with the field caption (cover the caption too) and stop before the caption of the next field.
Q: A form has names and e-mails of other people but RoboForm fills in my name and e-mail. What to do?
A: Let us use an example form.
* Create separate Identities for You and Your Friend(s).
* Pull selection (highlight) over "Your Name" and "Your E-Mail" fields on the example form.
* Click Identities button on RoboForm toolbar and select your Identity. First two fields will be filled from your Identity.
* Pull selection (highlight) over "1st Recipient Name" and "1st Recipient E-Mail" fields.
* Select your friend`s Identity from Identities and the selected fields will be filled.
* Continue for other friends.
Pulling selection over just a few fields (not all of them) can be done, but it requires some training. Start with the field caption (cover the caption too) and stop before the caption of the next field.
Q: How do I fill Shipping and Billing Address using RoboForm?
A: Do this:
* In the Editor go to the Identity Address section and create two Addresses: Billing and Shipping. Save the Identity.
* Pull selection (highlight) over Shipping Address part of the online form.
* Mouseover your identity button in RoboForm toolbar, select Shipping Address in the list of the offered Addresses. Click Fill Forms.
* Pull selection (highlight) over Billing Address part of the online form.
* Mouse over your identity button in RoboForm toolbar, select Billing Address in the list of offered Addresses. Click Fill Forms.
Q: How can I enter several credit cards into one Identity?
A: Do this:
* In the Editor go to Identities section, choose the identity you need to edit -> Credit Card
* Click "New Credit Card" - > New.
* Fill in the new credit card data.
* Save the Identity.
* Go to web page, mouse over this Identity button in RoboForm toolbar and it will show you the choice of credit cards that you have.
Q: I see only the US in the list of countries in my Identity. How do I change it to another country?
A: Form filling and field formatting rules are different for different countries, so RoboForm Identities have different format and structure for different countries.
You should specify the Country of your Identity when you create the Identity, in the New Identity dialog. The list of countries that appears in the Address section of Identity contains only the Country for which Identity was created. So if you created a USA Identity, it will contain only the USA in the list of countries.
If you want to change the Country in the existing Identity, open the Editor, choose the identity you need and select in the right pane: "More -> Country -> Your Country". If your Country is not listed, select "Other". The "Other" Country is good for countries for which RoboForm does not know the field formatting and form filling rules, it gives you the most generic Identity in which phone numbers are not formatted and which does not have any other country-specific field formatting.
When you change the Country of the existing Identity, some fields may lose their values because the set of Identity fields is different for different world regions and the formatting differs. Therefore you need to check the changed Identity manually and correct the fields that were lost.
Q: My phone number is not filled in correctly anymore. What should I do?
A: If you upgraded to a new version and your phone number is not filled in correctly, please check your Identity and make sure that your phone number displays correctly. We change the format of phone numbers from time to time, especially in foreign countries and conversion from older versions is not always automatic.
Q: RoboForm made a mistake when filling in a form. Why?
A: The RoboForm intellect is good but it has not yet matched the power of human intellect. So RoboForm can make mistakes when filling in forms. First, download the latest RoboForm version and check whether the problem persists or not. If it does, please send the address (URL) of the form you tried to fill in and a description of what exactly was not filled in to us by email.
Q: I upgraded to RoboForm Pro but the Editor still shows only 5 custom fields. How do I get more?
A: As you fill in the custom fields, RoboForm will add more fields. New empty fields are added to always maintain 5 new fields. The addition of new empty fields happens when you click Apply (Diskette) button in the Editor and switch to some other section and back to the Custom section or close and reopen the Identity.
Q: Login command does not login into the site automatically. What should I do?
A: Try resaving the Login, as the position or identification of controls may have changed and RoboForm cannot find the right button now. The best way to do it is to fill in the form from the Login and then click Login button while holding ALT. This should force AutoSave.
Q: Troubleshooter: The AutoFill dialog does not come up when I expect it to. Why?
A: There are several reasons why AutoFill may not work. This simple troubleshooter will help you to determine the cause of the problem and it will tell you how to fix it.
1. First check Common RoboForm troubleshooter.
Then check the AutoFill-specific items below.
2. Web page contains only non-password fields. By default AutoFill from Passcard will not come up in this case. You can change this behavior by opening RoboForm -> Options -> AutoFill and unchecking the "AutoFill from Passcards only on pages with Passwords" option.
3. The login form that you saved to a Passcard may have changed and the new login form does not match the saved form data. Fill the form manually. When you submit the form, RoboForm will offer to AutoSave it, save it over the old Passcard and then AutoFill should come up.
4. AutoFill may be off or you may have set RoboForm options to values that prevent AutoFill from working. Set all options to their default values by opening the Options dialog (select RoboForm -> Options) and clicking "Set Defaults" button.
5. You may have created a blocking Passcard for this web site. Once the blocking Passcard (it has "-Blocked-" in its name) is created, AutoFill will not come up on all pages of this web site. Remove the Blocking Passcard and AutoFill will work on this site: go to this web site, click "Fill Forms", then click "Unblock".
6. You have multiple monitors connected to your PC. Browser window is on the right edge of the 1st monitor and AutoFill dialog comes up to the right of it, that is, on the left edge of the 2nd monitor. 2nd monitor is turned off or you do not look at it.
7. If the number of fillable fields on a web page is less than the "Number of fields that triggers AutoFill from Identity" threshold then AutoFill will not come up. AutoFill from Identity comes up only on the web pages where the number of fillable fields is more than this threshold. You can change the threshold in the RoboForm -> Options -> AutoFill section.
8. RoboForm did not find any fields that it can fill in on your form. For instance, RoboForm will not fill in the Search form on google.com because it does not contain any personal fields you have in Identity.
Q: How can I permanently disable AutoFill for all web sites?
A: If you want RoboForm not to pop up the AutoFill dialog then click the No button pulldown in the Fill Forms dialog and select Do Not AutoFill at All sites. To re-enable AutoFill, click the "Fill Forms" button, then the "Enable AutoFill" link. You can also turn AutoFill on and off in RoboForm -> Options -> AutoFill.
Q: How can I disable AutoFill just for a one web site?
A: If you do not want AutoFill to pop up on any pages of a particular site, click No button pulldown in Fill Forms dialog and select Do not AutoFill at [domain name of the website]. This will create a Blocking Passcard, its name will have "-Blocked-" after the web site name. To unblock AutoFill for a web site, go to the Editor -> All and delete the blocking passcard for the website.
Q: How can I make AutoFill come up only for Passcards and not for Identities?
A: Open the RoboForm -> Options and set the appropriate AutoFill option: (i) Only from Passcards, (ii) Only from Identities, (iii) From Passcards & Identities.
Q: How can I customize the location and the behavior of AutoFill dialog?
A: To customize the location where AutoFill dialog appears, go to RoboForm -> Options -> AutoFill and select one of these locations:
Center: in the center of the browser window,
Right Out: outside the window on the right,
Right In: inside the window on its right edge.
Q: I enter the web page where I can edit my personal information but it is pre-filled by RoboForm. Why?
A: You have "AutoFill Without Asking" turned On. Turn it Off by opening RoboForm -> Options -> AutoFill dialog and unchecking "AutoFill Without Asking".
Q: AutoFill dialog is not positioned properly. Why?
A: If you use ATI HydraVision, it may damage the positioning of AutoFill dialog. Go into HydraVision options, Desktop Management tab, and uncheck 'Enable dialog repositioning' checkbox, this will make AutoFill dialog be positioned correctly.
Q: How can I change the number of fields that causes the AutoFill window to come up?
A: By opening Options dialog and setting the "Number of fields that triggers AutoFill from Identity". AutoFill from Identity comes up only if the number of fillable text fields is equal to or greater than the value of this setting (4 by default). Note that AutoFill from Passcards is not affected by this setting.
Q: I forgot my Master Password. How can I recover/reset it?
A: You cannot. The whole point of RoboForm security is that only the person who knows the Master Password can use RoboForm User Data protected by this password.
If you forgot your Master Password (or if you do not remember creating one but RoboForm requests it from time to time) then the only course of action is to remove all RoboForm User Data files protected by the Master Password and then remove Master Password.
In "Options -> Security" click "Set Master Password, Mass Protect/Unprotect" button, click Next when asked to enter the password and then check "I do not remember a password for this data" checkbox when you are asked to enter the password to open a RoboForm file you do not know the password for (check "Do not ask next time" if you do not remember anything), click Next and follow the instructions (remove or set a new Master Password).
Q: If somebody steals my computer with RoboForm on it, can he get into my accounts?
A: If you password-protect all sensitive Passcards and Identities then it will be nearly impossible to get an access to them without the password. Specifically, all password-protected Passcards and Identities are stored in files that are encrypted by your Master Password using AES, BlowFish or 3DES. So a person who theoretically steals your computer or files, will have to break these encryption algorithms in order to get your passwords from Passcards.
As long as you observe these rules, it should be very hard to use the stolen info:
* Password-protect all sensitive Passcards and Identities. Anyone can see and use Passcard or Identity that is not password-protected.
* Make your Master Password long enough and not obvious, so that it cannot be defeated by a simple dictionary attack. Do not use any words or names from any widely used languages, make your Master Password at least 10 characters long, include numbers and special symbols.
* Use AES, BlowFish, or RC6 for encryption, they are harder to break than other algorithms.
* More info on RoboForm security: click here.
Q: I entered the Master Password and now RF opens all password-protected Passcards without asking for MP?
A: When you enter Master Password it is cached in memory, so that you do not have to enter it all the time. You can tell RoboForm to "forget" the cached password by clicking the Logoff button (see below). Or you can tell RoboForm to Auto-Logoff after a period of inactivity in RoboForm -> Options -> Security.
Please also make sure that the function to "Store the Password in System Protected Storage" is not enabled in RoboForm -> Options -> Security. Otherwise RoboForm will neither ask you for the Master Password nor be able to Logoff. All your RoboForm User Data will be available for you without MP request, though it will be safely encrypted when e.g. synchronized with the RoboForm Everywhere account or sent via Email.
Q: Why RoboForm icon wears sunglasses from time to time?
A: When you enter Master Password and RoboForm caches it in memory, RoboForm TaskBar icon and RoboForm Toolbar icon turn into a stylized Robot with sunglasses. Robot with Sunglasses shows that you are logged in to RoboForm and you do not need to enter Master Password anymore. Robot without Sunglasses means that you are logged out from RoboForm and if you attempt to open a protected RoboForm User Data file, Master Password will be requested.
Q: How can I make sure that nobody can use my Passcards when I need to step out?
A: Make RoboForm forget the cached Master Password by clicking RoboForm -> Logoff on the toolbar You may also use Auto-Logoff option that makes RoboForm purge the cached Master Password after a period of inactivity.
When the "Logoff" button is enabled, it means that RoboForm has your Master Password cached in memory. When this button is not enabled then RoboForm has no passwords cached.
Q: How are my Identities and Passcards encrypted?
A: Your Identities and Passcards are encrypted using AES, BlowFish, RC6 or 3DES algorithm and the encryption / decryption key is generated from the Master Password. This encryption method makes your data very secure and even if hackers come into possession of your Identity and Passcard files, they will have to crack one of these encryption algorithms without knowing the key which is considered impossible. By default AES encryption is used.
Q: What is the relationship between the Default Password from Identity and the Passwords stored in Passcards?
A: There is no relationship. They all play different roles:
* The Default UserID and Password in Identity is used when a site asks you to create a UserID / Password pair and you do not want to type in a new password. Then you can fill forms from Identity and your default UserID and Password from Identity will be filled in. We recommend using your Default UserID and Password only for sites that are not really sensitive. Do not use it for your bank accounts.
* When you need to memorize or fill site-specific User ID and Password then use Passcards.
Q: I need no password protection for my Identities and Passcards. How do I get rid of Master Password?
A: If you synchronize with RoboForm Everywhere account, it is not possible to get rid of the Master Password, since the set Master Password is a requirement for the synchronization with the server.
If you have the synchronization turned off in RoboForm -> Sync then you may get rid of Master Password completely:
- If you have already created a number of password-protected Passcards and/or Identities, you can remove password protection from them by going to RoboForm -> Options -> Security, clicking "Set Master Password, Mass Protect/Unprotect", checking the "Remove Master Password" option and clicking OK.
- If you forgot your Master Password then please read what to do now.
Q: I saved a SearchCard, but it was not protected by the Master Password. Why?
A: Please do not worry, that is by design, since RoboForm SearchCards do not contain any sensitive information. If you want to protect a SearchCard - please right-click it and set the Protected menu item active.
Q: What is multifactor authentication in RoboForm and how does it work?
A: Starting from version 220.127.116.11 RoboForm supports multifactor authentication.
Both RoboForm Everywhere login via browser and RoboForm synchronization in the application can require One Time Password (OTP) that is sent to the email. It is done to authenticate the login to RoboForm Everywhere/synchronization with RoboForm Everywhere and enroll the device you use.
You may enable the multifactor authentication in RoboForm Everywhere account online if you navigate to the Security tab.
Currently OTP is sent via email, but we plan to do that via SMS in the future as well.
Q: RF Desktop: How do I copy RoboForm with all its data from one computer to another computer?
A: In 3 easy steps:
1. Install RoboForm on the new computer from RoboForm Download Page.
2. Copy RoboForm data files from the old computer to the new computer using Backup and Restore or any file copy program such as Windows Explorer.
3a. If you paid for RoboForm Pro before and you will be using both old and new computer, buy an additional license for the new computer: go to Buy Upgrades page and follow instructions.
3b. If you paid for RoboForm Pro before and you will stop using the old computer, activate RoboForm Pro on the new computer as follows: RoboForm -> Help -> Activate RoboForm. This should transfer the license to your new PC.
Q: How do I synchronize Passcards and Identities of RoboForm between several computers?
A: There are 2 ways to do it:
1. Use Roboform Everywhere variant of RoboForm to automatically sync all your RF data via RoboForm Everywhere server. RoboForm Everywhere synchronization works both for RoboForm Desktop to sync between several computers and it works for RoboForm2Go to sync data between RoboForm Desktop and USB key.
2. Use file synchronization tool GoodSync to sync your RoboForm User Data folders.
Q: How do I get back to the default RoboForm settings?
A: If you changed some setting(s), forgot what they were and now RoboForm does not work as you expect, then
open the RoboForm -> Options dialog and click "Set Defaults".
Q: RoboForm cannot save Passcards or Identities saying that "Access is Denied". What to do?
A 1: RoboForm and RoboForm2Go work fine with Vista & Windows 7/8. However Vista & Windows 7/8 do not allow Internet Explorer browser to write any user files and RoboForm is a component of the browser, we have to set permissions for passcard files to the special level that makes them writeable by Internet Explorer and therefore RoboForm.
Setting of Passcard permissions occur when:
- You install RoboForm onto the Vista or Windows 7/8 computer.
- You click button RoboForm -> Options -> User Data -> Set Correct File Permissions.
RoboForm itself maintains correct permission when writing user data files (passcards, etc) but if you modify any RoboForm data files using external means such as restoring passcards from backup, or syncing passcards using GoodSync, or even simply copying them to RF user data folder using Windows Explorer, this would make them read-only to the browser again. So whenever you bring in passcard files from outside to RoboForm on Vista or Windows 7/8, you should run RoboForm -> Options -> User Data -> Set Correct File Permissions.
A 2: If you transferred Passcard and Identity files to CD-R or CD-RW or Zip disk or any other medium used for backup then it is likely that Microsoft made these files "Read-Only". So when you transfer backed up files back to your hard disk then RoboForm cannot write to it. Open Windows Explorer, examine Properties of every *.RFT and *.RFP file and uncheck "Read-Only" flag.
A 3: If the issue revealed itself in RoboForm2Go installed to a USB drive formatted in NTFS system on some other PC, then you should temporarily copy the RoboForm User Data folder to your PC and re-format the USB drive in FAT32. Copy the data back to the USB drive then.
Q: How do different RoboForm components affect the performance of my computer?
A: When AutoFill is On, RoboForm will analyze every web page that you open in the browser to check whether the forms on this page can be filled in from your Passcards and/or Identities. It takes processor cycles. So we recommend to keep AutoFill off and to use form filling from RoboForm Toolbar instead.
"AutoSave" analyzes your form to check whether it is worth saving to a Passcard when you click a Submit button. The slowdown caused by it is minimal, so we recommend to keep AutoSave always On.
Q: Tell me more about the crashes caused by McAfee SiteAdvisor.
A: RoboForm support received a number of crash reports in Internet Explorer. Our analysis of these crash reports have shown that these crashes are likely to be caused by McAfee SiteAdvisor, specifically by incorrect reference counting of IE objects. These crashes would disappear if SiteAdvisor is uninstalled, and they do not disappear if RoboForm is uninstalled but SiteAdvisor remains installed.
Q: How do I report a problem or a suspected bug?
A: If RoboForm behaves in an unexpected way or if it does not fill in the forms or if an "Assertion Failed" window pops up, please report this situation to us by email. Your report will be analyzed and you will receive a reply.
Please understand, however, that we cannot see your computer and that we cannot fix the issue unless we reproduce it. It means that you should send us a sufficiently detailed description of the issue to allow us to reproduce it. Please include the following information in your problem report e-mail:
Q: I like RoboForm. How can I help?
A: We are glad to hear that you like RoboForm. These are several things you can do: